women's conference March 2017

women's conference March 2017

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Better-Not Easier


December 2017
As I think back over this last year of 2017 I have varied memories and emotions. I hear myself telling others that I am hoping for an easier 2018. Then I review my experiences…
There have been quite a wide range of events and happenings that have had an impact on me this past year; quite few of them very difficult. In February I received a phone call saying that my expectant daughter was headed to the hospital at 29 weeks and was then put on bedrest in the hospital to try to keep her unborn son. That meant figuring out what to do with their cute little 2 year old Jane while mom “lives at the hospital.” That was challenging at best, but they got through it.
Then we had the continuing health challenges of my dad. It became difficult for him to get around and he kept falling and needed assistance to get up. I tried to help out as much as I could which took a lot of time and energy. He just got so tired of the fight and finally returned home to his Heavenly Father in April. That was a very heart wrenching phone call. After the dust settled we were left with a lot of things to piece together and to help mom cope with her new normal.
Only 2 days after dad’s funeral mom was diagnosed with bladder cancer. That took on a whole new dimension of care giving and helping her with as much as I could.
We have been touched by extended family challenges, rehab treatment centers, crises’ of faith, on-going health issues, financial concerns and an overall worry for the well-being of all those we love so dearly.
Then in November we visited the Cedar City Temple open house with our family. What a joy to be in that beautiful, holy place with the people that mean the most to me. However, on our way home we were in a car accident that sent grandma to the hospital and left me with a lingering concussion that seemed to hang on way too long. Our new car was totaled and I was forced to scale back our holiday festivities.
One would look at these events and truly wish for an easier new year. But then I realized that all those events were what had left me with many qualities that I could have obtained in no other way.
I look back now with greater appreciation for life and good health. I am blessed with a deeper sense of compassion for so many in difficult circumstances. I see my faith strengthened through trials and deeply rooted in our Savior Jesus Christ. I have come to appreciated the blessings of the temple as I never had before. I see people through the eyes of our Savior and am more willing to accept, love and serve God’s children. I see God’s hand in the details of my life every day. I have come to realize how truly blessed I have been in 2017. I see now that easier is not better. It is by passing through hard things that we become polished and refined. As we place our trust and faith in the Lord He will lead us along and help us become all that He knows we can be. All that He needs us to be.

May we all be grateful for the good, hard things we experience in life and may we all become a little better, a little wiser, and be filled with peace throughout this coming year.
-Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Couple Reunion Missouri 2019

Some pictures from the couple retreat Febuary 2019