women's conference March 2017

women's conference March 2017

Sunday, June 4, 2017

Beau's Secret

Exactly a year ago today, I was doing something I would have never expected. I was holding and rocking my niece's tiny baby while she was mourning the death of her brother, Beau, in the other room. 

We had gone to Colorado, like we did every year over Memorial Day Weekend, only this time was different. As soon as we pulled into our old familiar hotel parking lot, we got a frantic call from Liz, Mike's Sister, saying that Beau, her 16 year old son, had been in a terrible ATV accident and was being life flighted to the nearest hospital. After making sure which hospital he was being taken to, we headed there also. We entered the room in the ER, still not believing that Beau could really be that badly injured.  When we saw Beau laying there, Liz softly crying and stroking his hair back, we felt that he was gone. It wasn't him. His body was laying there but his spirit was gone. I took Ashley's baby and went to the waiting area to try and give her time to grieve and to be there for her mom and family. It was in that waiting room that I started to learn more about Beau and the kind of person he was. 

We waited for several hours in that waiting room and every hour that passed, we would hear an alarm of some type go off. Another cousin, Chelsea, and I were both tending little children and we finally found the phone that was going off.  It was Beau's phone and it had a message in it. It was then that I realized what Beau knew. 

Honestly, I didn't really have a relationship with Beau. I only saw him a few times a month and when we saw each other, there was a quick hug, a few pleasantries were exchanged and that was about it. I loved him and thought he was a "good kid" but at family gatherings, he would go hang out with the teenagers and I would stay with the adults so there really wasn't much interaction. Everything I knew about Beau, came mostly from talking to his mom, Liz, and from Grandma Bennett. I did know that
Beau wasn't perfect. He was a regular 16-year-old teenage boy who sometimes talked back to his parents and broke curfew. He had a really messy bedroom and he loved to do crazy, silly things with his friends and he always had a smile on his face. He was pretty normal. But not really. Beau had learned something that a lot of people don't figure out for a really long time. Some people never figure it out. Beau learned the secret for being truly happy. 

Growing up Beau had done what all the boys his age and in his social circle were pushed to do, he played sports. He played football and baseball mostly and he played golf whenever he could. It was probably expected because he came from athletic families. Grandpas on both sides of the family had truly excelled in sports. But somewhere along the way, Beau started to see what some of his friends that he played sports with were doing and he didn't like the choices they were making and maybe some of the choices he was making when he was with them. He made a big decision to stop playing those sports and to stop hanging around those friends. That was hard. Anyone who has experienced changing friend groups, and probably everyone has, knows how hard that is. There was probably a little bullying going on and making life miserable for him for a while from those old friends but Beau found new friends and before long he was filling his time with other things instead of playing sports. 

One of his new found activities was going to the temple every week and Beau was finding that he was happier than ever before. He tried to serve others by volunteering at places and also by doing family history and he used that big smile of his to make friends wherever he went. He really liked to find new people at school and be a friend to them. They said that he even deleted his social media accounts because he felt that he needed to concentrate on living his own life and not watch other people live theirs. He wanted to live life to the fullest and not waste a minute of time being unhappy or comparing himself with others. 

At the funeral for Beau, Beau's bishop told how he had come to him several months before he passed away and said he wanted to think about the Savior more. That's when he had come up with his plan. He set an alarm to go off every hour on his phone that would say, "Make Christ the Center of Your Life." Every time he saw it flash on his screen, he would try to serve someone, recite a song or scripture or say a prayer. He was working hard to try and live as Christlike as possible. He wanted his thoughts through out the day, to be centered on Christ, our true source of happiness and joy. Beau wasn't perfect. No one is. But Beau had found out a great truth at the young age of 16, a truth that many people don't figure out their whole lives. CHRIST is the CENTER of everything. If we center our lives on HIM, then we find a power and an inner peace that comes only in and through HIM. 

Everyone is sad that Beau had to leave this life at such a young age. But the beauty of Beau leaving this earth is that his secret is being told everywhere now. There's a big movement of people who are sick of being unhappy and insecure. When they see Beau's story and learn his secret, then they can be "happi" too! (Beau's license plate said happy with an "i") Make CHRIST the CENTER of your life. That's the key. That's the secret. Beau knew how to be happy and his message is spreading to the world. 

-Cathy

17 comments:

  1. Love you Cathy. Mike is a good chooser of mates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, so much for providing a more developed picture of this young man.
    I'm hoping that his choices will inspire similar choices in our early morning seminary group.
    Bless you and all of Beau's family for their example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing more about Beau. I used his story today in my early morning seminary class. We were studying 2 Nephi 5:27. The spirit was strong and the kids felt a desire to find ways to "live after the manner of happiness." They each came up with their own way but as a class we decided to set a reminder on our phones that will say, "Make Christ the center of your life." They decided it would be best at 8:30am, right before school starts and again at 3:05pm, the last passing period before they move on to extracurricular activities. We took a picture of our class and want to share it with you and the rest of Beau's family. Please let me know if this is a possibility. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took so long to get back to you! Yes! That would be awesome! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. This paragraph provides clear idea designed for
    the new visitors of blogging, that genuinely how to do running a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are 13 sisters (including my wonderful sisters-in-law) and my mom. They chose me to run the blog but I'm still learning and wish I knew more and could do better. They are just happy it isn't them, so lucky for me they aren't too picky :)

      Delete
  5. Very nice write-up. I definitely love this website.
    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family always say that I am wasting my time here at
    net, however I know I am getting knowledge daily
    by reading thes fastidious articles or reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very fascinating, You're an excessively skilled blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and stay up for in quest of
    more of your fantastic post. Also, I have shared your website in my social networks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We need to do better about posting. It was easier when we first started out, but life has a way of getting busy. Thank you again for your kind words.

      Delete
  8. Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I
    was wondering which blog platform are you using for this site?
    I'm getting fed up of Wordpress because I've
    had issues with hackers and I'm looking at alternatives for another
    platform. I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a
    good platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not much of a blogger. I wish I was better and could offer advice. I just started the blog on blogspot.com and used the platform they offered. I have played around a little to try and add features. Sometimes it works out and sometimes, not so much :)
      Thank you for reading our blog! And good luck!

      Delete

Couple Reunion Missouri 2019

Some pictures from the couple retreat Febuary 2019