women's conference March 2017

women's conference March 2017

Sunday, June 11, 2017

The Will of God

"Butterflies fluttered in my stomach as I ran onto the basketball court for my pregame warmup. It was my senior year of high school, and tonight's game was different. I knew that somewhere in the stands were college scouts. Not just any scouts, but the Ricks College (aka BYU I) head basketball coach was there...to watch me. Growing up in Rexburg, ID, my dream had been to play for Ricks College, for as long as I could remember. And, finally I was getting a shot to prove myself. I longed to have the best game of my life. I needed to have the best game of my life. I wanted it so badly.
But, it didn't happen.
I had one of the worst games of my high school career. 
Dejected, I came home crying and upset. 
Not surprisingly, Ricks didn't offer me a scholarship. However, they did invite me to their group tryout, like a consolation prize...which honestly made me feel like a charity case. 
I felt that years and years of practice and hard work were of naught. Why? I had put in the time. I had put in the work. And, if I was going for sympathy points, I deserved a break! It had been an especially trying year for me my senior year, as I had cared for my sweet mom battling cancer day in and day out. 
I decided to stay close to home, go to Ricks and not play basketball. 
I registered for fall semester and found a roommate. 
I didn't need to play basketball anymore.
Only then, I changed my mind....well, my inspired dad helped me change my mind. 
Dads push us to our dreams and believe in us, even when we don't believe in ourselves. And, my dad was no exception. He didn't want me to give up on my goal of playing college basketball. So, I picked myself up, packed my bags and tried-out at several other colleges in Idaho and Utah. 
Long story short (I know, too late), I ended up in Price, UT at College of Eastern Utah. I didn't know a single soul there, and I had to look it up on a map (actually, I'm sure most people that even live in Utah have to look Price up on a map)! The CEU coach told me over the phone before I came down and tried out that he didn't have any scholarships to give, and his roster was full. I still decided to make the trip, and miracles do happen. He offered me a full-ride scholarship before I left that day. Although it was hard, really hard, to move away from home, more specifically, move away from my dying mother, it was the right decision. Price felt so right and still feels like home to me this day.
Six months after moving to Price to begin college, I started dating my eternal sweetheart. His spirit has always felt so familiar to me. I'm forever grateful the Lord guided me to him. 

My story is not unique. I testify that the Lord has a plan for each one of us. As we align our will with his, he can make so much more out of ourselves than we could ever do alone. I was so dejected when I fell short of my goal to play at Ricks College. However, it wasn't where I needed to be. The Lord knew that; I was still figuring that part out. I testify that we each have unique gifts and talents that the Lord can magnify and truly make us an instrument in His hands. And, last, but certainly not least, I testify that He lives and loves each one of us. He is aware of us...especially in the details of our lives."
"The Will of God" by Elder Christofferson



-Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Couple Reunion Missouri 2019

Some pictures from the couple retreat Febuary 2019