women's conference March 2017

women's conference March 2017

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Parables


I have loved the Come Follow Me Manual that we have been given to study this year with our families!! https://www.lds.org/study/manual/come-follow-me-for-individuals-and-families-new-testament-2019/title?lang=eng

This past week we’ve been studied the parables that Christ taught is Matthew 13, and Luke chapters 8 and 13. I’ve been pondering why did Christ teach in parables? Then I thought, do I not learn better when I have an object lesson to see and visualize what is being taught? Yes, I believe we all learn, or it sticks with us longer if we can visualize.

Matthew 13:18 is the parable of the sower. As Christ speaks to me is his word falling upon a stony “heart”, is it falling among “thorns”, or is it falling in good ground where it can be cultivated and grow? I’ll admit that I’m not always ready to listen to His word and therefore it’s falling among thorns or stones where it’s not going to grow. This morning His word came to me in a parable, I was ready to listen, and I wanted to share this parable with you.

It is the parable of the clogged drain. Our tubs in our home allow the very smallest of particles to pass down the drain. Although hair is small and if a little hair goes down the drain, no big deal. I was noticing that the boys shower was not draining like it should, I have a special tool that I’m able to use to remove excessive hair out of the drains. I took my special tool to the boy’s bathroom and began removing my first clog, it seemed like such a little amount of hair, but as I used my tool again much more hair came from the drain. After cleaning this drain, the water ran down it with no problem. I compared this to me and the Holy Ghost. When I am trying to do what’s right, I truly can feel of God’s spirit running through me, helping me! I quickly go to my knees in prayer for guidance, I find myself in His scriptures listening to His word, listening to the words of our Prophets and leaders. Then a little sin crepes in, maybe too much social media, maybe forgetting a morning prayer, maybe serving with the wrong attitude, and so on! Then suddenly, I find that I can’t hear his voice, I am “clogged” with disappointment, clogged with laziness, clogged with little sins. How grateful I am for the tool of the Atonement,
I can apply daily, I can be cleaned and have the spirit again flowing within me freely.

The pipes will need to be continually cleaned of the hair and debris that clogs it, the same is true with all of us, we will need to continually apply the Atonement daily in our life in order to stay close to our Heavenly Father.

I am deeply grateful for Come Follow Me and the lessons that I am learning. I’m thankful for the opportunity of growing closer to my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. I am grateful for the Holy Ghost that if I’m willing to listen will guide me every day – we are promised that if we always remember him and Keep his commandments, he promises to ALWAYS have His spirit to be with us! What a beautiful promise.
-Shannon Morley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Couple Reunion Missouri 2019

Some pictures from the couple retreat Febuary 2019