women's conference March 2017

women's conference March 2017

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Goodly Parents

“Goodly Parents”

I have loved keeping a journal through my growing up years and still enjoy it today. My journal has been a help and strength to me.  I love going back and reading my history.  

 The experience that I want to share today was back when I was in college living in Tempe, AZ.  I was very much in love with a young man.  I was struggling with what to do, he was not LDS, and had told me that he would not be willing to go to church.  I was heartbroken and knew want needed to be done.   I made a phone call to this young man and ended our relationship.  I quickly called my parents in tears; dad said we are on our way!  The family came to Tempe, which was a good 45 minute drive and we went out for pizza.  My dad went on a walk with me and told me that “sometimes we don’t understand why things happen the way they do.” I had just met Dave a couple weeks prior to this event.  It took Dave and me two months of dating before we were engaged!   The Lord has a plan, as we are obedient he leads the way. 


My dad is gone now and I am so grateful for the memories that I have written down.  I feel much like Nephi when he said “I have been born of goodly parents.”  I am grateful for the example of my parents.  I am thankful that my goodly parents were willing to haul their 6 children to Tempe to comfort their oldest daughter!   I’m sure coming to Tempe was not in my parents plan that evening, nor was it convenient.  As parents we do things that are neither convenient nor planned.  I appreciate their example of doing what it takes to keep the family top priority!  




-Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Couple Reunion Missouri 2019

Some pictures from the couple retreat Febuary 2019