women's conference March 2017

women's conference March 2017

Sunday, April 30, 2017

Birthday Bash


What comes around every year and is avoided by some, anticipated by others, but always celebrated (if you ‘re in our family)?  Birthdays at the Cope house are a big deal!  You can expect to wake up to streamers, gifts, a personalized birthday poster and the traditional birthday hat with candles on top (required to be worn as we sing a purposely-off-tune, obnoxious version of “Happy Birthday to you”). 

Birthdays were always a special occasion as we were growing up.  Mom was amazing at making it special, despite the fact that she had to do it so regularly.  With 13 children, she had lots of practice.  I think I was the only child that cared about my presents being wrapped, instead of in the usual brown paper grocery bag.  On our birthday morning, the birthday child awakened by the family gathered around the bed, bearing gifts, and singing.  Then, it was breakfast in bed and special treatment all day.  Nowadays, I still get a sweet card in the mail from mom and dad – but the best part is getting the phone call with the two of them enthusiastically singing “We love you, Chrisy, oh yes we do, there is no other that’s quite like you!  When you’re not with us, we’re blue.  Oh, Chrisy, we love you!”  They probably don’t know it, but it brings tears to my eyes, especially with each passing  year as their voices become less-robust.

Two decades ago I decided to broaden my birthday list to every member on both sides of the family, including grandkids and now great-grandkids.  The list grows every year, nearing 300 (and my greatest fear is forgetting someone!)  Once-elaborate, handmade cards have now become handmade postcards with the birthday name in bubble letters and a heartfelt greeting on the back.  Since we live away from all the family, it’s our simple, yet sincere, way to stay connected and express love for each family member.   


My husband likes to tease me about sending birthday cards to everyone I know and even the people I meet in line at the grocery store or on an airplane.  He’s not too far from the truth.  Years ago my postman said he has enjoyed seeing all the postcards I send, and jokingly said he wishes he could get one of my customized cards.  He told me his birthday.  I committed it to memory, and showed up at the post office with his birthday card on May 25th.  It brought a smile to his face.  In three weeks, Gary the postman will be receiving his birthday card again.  J







 By Chrisy Cope

2 comments:

  1. Chrisy, you are seriously amazing. I look forward to my card from you every year. And it makes my heart so happy to see the excitement on my kids faces when they get theirs! The ask me to read it to them maybe 1,000 times and each time they light up! I sure love you a whole ton! Thanks for making all of us feel so special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrisy, I love how thoughtful and kind you are. I know I love to receive my card! I was once surprised by a lady in the grocery store who made me a handmade bracelet for my birthday because she had remembered me. It meant so much and cheered my whole day! You are that person to so many. Thank you for your amazing example!

    ReplyDelete

Couple Reunion Missouri 2019

Some pictures from the couple retreat Febuary 2019