women's conference March 2017

women's conference March 2017

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Lessons learned from Geri

Lessons I have learned from Geri:
Geri is our sweet oldest Sister, who was born into this life with the cord wrapped around her neck causing her to be deprived of oxygen to her brain.  She was later tested and has been able to function on an 8 year old level mentally.  About 6 years ago she fell and hit her head and now is suffering with schizophrenia.  I call her “Geri raw” because she has pure childlike motives. I marvel that as we get older we lose some of those childlike traits.
We were privileged to have Geri live with us for 9 years when our children were young; these are a couple things I learned from her:
  1. She loves herself without comparing
  2. She forgives easily
Geri has wonderful self-esteem. Katie, 3 years old at the time, got a new dress and we were telling her how pretty she was in her new dress, after a while Geri said, “Aren’t you going to tell me how nice I look today too?”  
I have caught Geri looking in the mirror time and time again saying, “You look good today, Geri.” Or we would be going somewhere and she would say, “Did you see that guy checking me out?”   
At what age do we start to talk bad about ourselves?  Geri, stuck at the age of 8 years old, has great self-esteem.  She never compares herself with others and really likes who she is.  I try to remember “Geri raw”, who has no social filters that control how she sees herself. Her childlike mentality helps me realize that God would want me to like myself and be grateful for what he has created.  Geri is my great example of how to treat myself.
She forgives as a little child. When our brother Jed was a teenaged boy he started teasing Geri, and while she took his teasing for a while, when she’d had enough she punched him.  Whatever Geri lacks in mental capability is made up in strength.  It shocked Jed to see how strong she was.  Jed apologized and Geri forgave him immediately.  There are no grudges, no time that has to go by before she forgives.  She simply forgives those that have treated her badly.  I try to remember “Geri raw” who can forgive as a child, so completely. 

Everyone in our family loves Geri; she is so pure and childlike. She makes us realize how much we can learn from her.  Geri has helped us look at those that are different in a loving way and try to see what they can offer to this world.  I thank the Lord every day that I have the privilege to be her sister and to learn from her remarkable life.



-Gina 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Couple Reunion Missouri 2019

Some pictures from the couple retreat Febuary 2019